The Shaler Area School District's Kim Baysek-Young Extra Mile Award recognizes district employees who have gone above and beyond for Shaler Area students or to contribute to the success of the school district. Members of the community nominated teachers, custodians, administrators, and more, celebrating the ways these staff members invested in student well-being. Nominations were received throughout the fall and winter and reviewed by a panel of district stakeholders.
From special education advocates to music teachers, this year’s awardees highlight the rich variety of ways that educators in the district bring creativity and dedication to their work. Dr. Sean Aiken, Superintendent of Schools, shared, “Together they are united by a commitment to ensure that every student has the resources they need to thrive.”
This year’s awardees are:
- Angela Evans, Music Teacher, Marzolf Primary School. Ms. Evans brings enthusiasm and creativity to everything she does. She not only inspires her students, but positively impacts the morale at the school through her work on various committees.
- Julia Igims, Special Education Teacher, Marzolf Primary School. Ms. Igims demonstrates compassion and insight in her work with students with special needs. She builds trust and rapport with students and their parents to ensure a collaborative approach for student well being.
- Mike LaGamba, Math Teacher, Shaler Area Middle School. Mr. LaGamba was nominated by a parent of a visually impaired student after Mr. LaGamba offered to accompany the student and his friends to a rock concert so the student could enjoy a performance by his favorite band. His consistency and humility have made him a beloved teacher.
- Sue McElhinny, Administrative Assistant, Business Office. Ms. McElhinny plays an integral role in the functioning of the district. She brings skill and acumen to her work and is passionate about spearheading projects, such as the Backpack Initiative, that benefit families in need.
- Paul Stadelman, Math Teacher, Shaler Area High School. Mr. Stadelman coaches volleyball in addition to his outstanding teaching. Both on the court and in the classroom, Mr. Stadelman engages in leadership development that cultivates character and equips students to achieve their dreams.
- George Tepshich, Music Teacher, Shaler Area High School. Mr. Tepshich is an innovative teacher as well as the leader of the high school band and marching band. Mr. Tepshich not only conveys musical concepts, but creates a culture in which students find meaning and belonging.
The award, previously the "Extra Mile Award," is named in honor of Mrs. Baysek-Young, a beloved third-grade teacher at Reserve Primary School, who passed away early in the 2020–21 school year. During her 22 years with Shaler Area, Mrs. Baysek-Young was an integral part of multiple schoolwide programs and community events and went to incredible lengths to provide students with educational opportunities and experiences. She received the award in 2019 for her unwavering support of students.