10 Things every Shaler Area parent should know
Students are #1
SASD has many resources available to address student issues, safety, and well-being.
- School Resource Officers – Shaler Township Police Officer Frank Spiker, [email protected], and Millvale Borough Police Office Brenan Jackson, [email protected], are present in the schools every day during the school year.
- School Nurses – Each building is assigned a nurse to address health-related concerns.
- Social Workers – SASD has 4 licensed social workers to address students’ social needs.
Where to go with questions
Where should you go if you have a question?
- Contact school personnel (i.e. teacher, school counselor, principal) with school-level issues (i.e. grade questions, bullying, classroom concerns).
- Contact the coach then Athletic Director Clint Rauscher with team or athletic-related issues.
- Contact the building principal or building activities director for questions related to student and extracurricular activities.
Grades, schedules, & more are at your fingertips
Infinite Campus, the district’s student information system, provides parents with realtime information on their student’s academic progress.
You can get involved! All schedules are on the SASD website.
- PTO – Each building’s Parent Teacher Organization meets regularly with the building principal.
- DPC – The District Parent Council meets once per month with district administrators and is open to any parent.
- School Board – The board meets each month to discuss and vote on district business.
5Information is accessible
Important information is at your fingertips! All important information is posted on the SASD website, Twitter @ShalerArea, and the superintendent’s blog at shalerarea.edublogs.org
. District and community flyers are posted on Peachjar and emailed to the parent/guardian email on file.
School counselors are great resources
SASD counselors are liaisons to the teachers and great resources! Each student in the district is assigned a school counselor. Contact your child’s counselor for questions about: career planning, course selection & scheduling, and personal/social development.
SASD has 1:1 technology
SASD offers a 1:1 iPad Initiative:
1:1 iPad to student ratio for 7-12
2:1 iPad to student ratio for K-6
ABC Transit Inc. operates daily bus runs
District transportation is provided by ABC Transit Inc.
- Questions about bus stops: Contact the district transportation department at 412-492-1200 ext. 2824 or [email protected].
- Student-related busing issues: Contact the building principal.
- All other transportation issues: Contact the ABC Transit dispatcher at 412-821-3000.
Inclement weather & emergency communication
Be prepared for inclement weather!
- Emergency announcements for inclement weather are posted on the SASD website, local news outlets, Twitter, and district phone system.
- Have a plan for an emergency early dismissal.
The Nutrition Group Inc. provides lunch & more
District food service is provided by The Nutrition Group Inc.
- A new application for the free/reduced lunch program must be filled out each school year.
- Menus are available on Nutrislice: sasd.nutrislice.com or by downloading the app on iTunes or Google Play.
- Any food service questions can be directed to Sue Cook 412-492-1200 ext. 1582, [email protected].